Last updated 14 May 2021.
WHO WE ARE
We are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy and the following sets out the basis on which we collect, use and disclose personal and other information obtained through the Sony Music Entertainment network of websites (including sonymusic.co.nz and any
A SPECIAL NOTE TO CHILDREN UNDER 13 YEARS OF AGE
You must be 13 years of age or older to register with any of our sites. Please do not register if you are under 13 years of age.
A SPECIAL NOTE TO PARENTS
Parents should supervise their children’s online activities and consider using parental controltools available from online services and software manufacturers that help provide a childfriendly online environment. These tools can also prevent children from disclosing online their name, address, and other personal information without parental permission.
To help protect you and others, we monitor use of our sites, and we use the information we collect, including personal information, to:
• identify fraudulent activities and transactions;
• prevent abuse of and investigate and/or seek prosecution for any potential threats to or misuse of our sites;
• otherwise to protect the rights and property of Sony Music Entertainment, its partners, and customers.
Monitoring may result in the collection, recording, and analysis of online activity or communications through our sites. If you do not consent to these conditions, you must discontinue your use of our sites.
TYPES OF INFORMATION WE COLLECT
If you are a customer or user of our sites, we collect information about you to allow you to use the features on our sites, to process your registrations with us, to provide you with requested content and to otherwise facilitate your dealings with us. This information may
We may collect and hold the following personal information from you:
• Contact information such as name, email address, street address, and phone number;
• Billing information such as credit card number and billing address;
• Demographic information such as age, date of birth, gender, interests, country and post code;
• Unique identifiers such as user name and password;
• Preference and other information such as product wish lists, order history, marketing and music preferences;
• Geolocation information such as your actual or approximate location (for example, from the IP address of your device or computer);
• Photos and videos that you submit on our sites; and
• Internet and other electronic network activity (such as your browser type, Internet Service Provider (ISP), number of visits and clickstream data).
You are not required to provide us with this information but, if you choose not to, you may not be able to register to use our sites or participate in some of the activities on our sites.
If you do business or have other dealings with us
If you, or your employer, does business with us or has other dealings with us, we collect information about you to facilitate those arrangements. This information may include your name, position, contact details, and any other information you provide.
If you are an employee or applicant
If you are an employee or a job applicant, we collect information about you to administer your employment or process your application. This may include qualification and identification information, residency / visa status information, medical records and health information, psychological testing results and results from records checks. If you are offered a position, we may also collect details such as your tax number, bank account number,
superannuation and union membership details, to the extent applicable.
HOW WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
a) Directly from you
We may collect, process and use personal information relating to you by:
• you providing it to us by filling in forms on our site or by you contacting us;
• if you apply for a job with us, collecting it from directly from you; or
• our monitoring of the use of our site.
This includes, but is not limited to, information provided at the time of registering to use (or becoming a member of) our site, participating in contests, chat rooms or bulletin boards, subscribing to any services (e.g. newsletters or email updates on particular artists or types of music), purchasing downloads, sending e-cards, posting material or requesting further services.
b) By using cookies and other technologies
In addition, we may use ‘cookies’, pixels and other tracking technologies to collect data about your use of our sites and other websites that you visit. This data may include IP-addresses, browser version, number of visits and similar such data relating to your navigation of the Internet and our sites. A ‘cookie’ is a small text file that is placed on your computer’s hard drive. Cookies and pixels help us to improve our sites and to deliver a better and more personalised service, for instance by storing information about your preferences and allowing us to recognise you when you return to our sites. You may refuse to accept cookies by activating settings on your Internet browser. However, please note that if you select such settings you may be unable to access certain parts of our
sites. We gather certain information about the users of our sites automatically and store it in log files. This information includes Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, Internet Service Provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, and clickstream data. This information does not identify individual users. We use this information to identify usage trends, to administer our sites, to track users’ movements around our sites and to gather demographic information about our users collectively. We also use pixel tags on our sites, which are small graphics on each web page that tell us what parts of our site customers have visited or to measure the effectiveness of searches customers perform on our site. This information is analysed for us by Google Analytics.
Our sites may also host cookies and pixels from third party services (such as Google, Facebook, Twitter or Snapchat) for the purposes of collecting data to enable personalised advertising services. For more information on cookies and pixels from third parties, refer to section 8 below.
c) From third parties
We may also collect information about you from our related bodies corporate, third party service providers and other organisations that we partner with. Some examples are set out below.
• When you apply for a job or position with us, we may collect information about you from any recruitment consultant, your previous employers, referees, CV checking agencies or others who may be able to provide information to assist us with our decision.
• When you use certain features on our sites that connect to your online profiles or social media accounts, we may collect personal information about you from the third parties that help us manage our sites. For example, when you sign in to a feature of one of our sites through a social media account such as Spotify, service providers that help us manage our sites may collect data about your use of the relevant platform and
provide it to us so we can provide you with tailored offers and content.
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We collect, store, use and disclose the personal information collected from our sites in the following ways:
• to ensure that content from our sites are presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer or device;
• to conduct targeted advertising or marketing, including to provide you with direct marketing communications, information, products or services that you have requested or otherwise consented to receive from us (or third parties, where appropriate) or which, based on your musical preferences or use, we feel may interest you;
• to send you requested updates and newsletters about an artist, type of music or related special offers;
• to send you requested product or service information;
• to administer competitions you enter and to contact you if you win a prize and to send the prize to you;
• to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us;
• to fulfil your order;
• to send you an order confirmation;
• to respond to your service requests, questions and concerns;
• to administer your account;
• to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so;
• to notify you about changes to our service;
• to display content based upon location and/or interests;
• to conduct research and analysis;
• to comply with our legal obligations, resolve any disputes that we may have, and enforce our agreements with third parties; and
• to process information submitted with a job application.
We may link or combine the information that we collect about you from different sources (including information received from our related bodies corporate about your use of other Sony products and services). Information may be linked via a unique identifier, such as a cookie or account number. Alternatively, we may decide to combine two or more databases into a single database of customer information.
We may do this for your and/or our convenience (for example, to allow you to more easily
register for a new service), to allow us to provide a more seamless customer support whenever you contact us and to provide you with better, personalised services, content, marketing and adverts.
WHO WE DISCLOSE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION TO
a) Group companies and third party service providers
We may disclose your personal information to our employees or related bodies corporate worldwide, third party service suppliers and providers, professional advisers, dealers and agents or existing or potential agents, business partners or partners.
We may disclose your personal information to those artists (and their management companies) that you have expressed an interest in, who may then use your personal information, in accordance with this policy, to keep you updated with information about them.
c) Third parties that help us manage or interact with our sites
We may share your personal information with third party service providers so that they can deliver certain services to us, such as hosting or managing our sites, sending emails and carrying out data analysis.
“like” or “share” button, or you sign up to a competition using your social media account), these third party sites may collect personal information about you to enable personalised marketing services. They may also share the information they collect with us.
d) Other third parties
Where you take part in a promotion that we hold in conjunction with another company, we may disclose your personal information to that company.
We may transfer, sell or assign any information, including personal information, to third parties, in connection with the sale, merger, consolidation, change in control, transfer of substantial assets, reorganisation or liquidation of Sony Music Entertainment, or any part of
We may share with others, at our discretion, certain aggregate statistical data about purchases and the use of our content, which data may include demographic data such as the age range and/or geographic location of groups of users. No personal information (such as names or email addresses) will be identifiable from such statistics.
e) In special circumstances
We may otherwise disclose personal information to any person as required, authorised or permitted by law.
f) Disclosure of personal information overseas
We only disclose personal information where we are satisfied that your personal information will be protected in a way that, overall, provides comparable safeguards to those under the
Privacy Act 2020 (or where one of the other criteria are met under the Privacy Act 2020, such as where you authorisation has been obtained).
TRANSMISSION OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION VIA THE INTERNET
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Any transmission is therefore at your own risk.
Once we have collected your personal information, we will ensure that the information is protected, by such security safeguards as are reasonable in the circumstances to take against loss and unauthorised access, use, modification and disclosure.
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our sites, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share the password with anyone.
Sony Music Entertainment has taken precautions to ensure that any credit card payments via our sites are safe and secure. We store your credit card details after your first purchase so you don’t need to continually enter and transmit those details over the internet. To protect your
personal information and privacy, we automatically encrypt your credit card data using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL). SSL encrypts all of your personal information, including credit card number, name, and address, so that it cannot be read as the information travels over the Internet.
You will know when transmitted data is safe by the appearance of a security notice when you enter a secure page. Usually, a secure icon will appear on your browser. Secure web pages can also be identified by their URL: they begin with ‘https://’, while standard pages begin with ‘http://’.
Sony Music Entertainment has also implemented measures to ensure that your stored credit card details are kept safe.
WHERE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION IS KEPT OR TRANSFERRED
The personal information that we collect may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside New Zealand, for instance if any of our servers from time to time are located outside New Zealand or if one of our service providers or suppliers is located in a country outside New Zealand or if we share your personal information (in accordance with the ‘Who we disclose your personal information’ section above).
YOUR RIGHT TO ACCESS OR CORRECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
You can opt out of receiving any further messages from Sony Music Entertainment or anyone with whom we disclose your personal information to (as described above) at any time by following the unsubscribe instructions in any message sent to you. You have a right to access the personal information we hold about you, and also the ability to
correct or update it. Please contact our Privacy Officer (see below) to submit your enquiries for access to, or correction or update of, the personal information we hold about you. We may deny your request to correct or update information in some circumstances, but if we do this
we will tell you why.
Please include your name, email address and/or telephone number and clearly describe your complaint. We will respond within a reasonable period of receiving your complaint.
If you are dissatisfied with the handling of your complaint, you may lodge a complaint with the Office of the New Zealand Privacy Commissioner (“NZPC”). For further information regarding how to make a complaint to the NZPC, you can visit www.privacy.org.nz.
OUR PRIVACY OFFICER
You may contact our Privacy Officer by sending an email to email@example.com or by writing to The Privacy Officer, Sony Music Entertainment Australia Pty Limited, 11-19 Hargrave Street, East Sydney, NSW 2010.